The Global Health Institute sponsors many events related to research, education, training programs, service, and global health-related curricula. Don't miss out on any!
Global Drug Decriminalization & Tijuana's HIV/AIDS Epidemic
June 1, 2016, 11:30am-2pm
- The Great Hall – International House, Eleanor Roosevelt College
- Now ONLINE through UCTV! (Link)
Join UC San Diego’s Global Health Institute and the Open Society Foundation as we welcome Sir Richard Branson. Sir Branson is a world-renowned business magnate, investor, and philanthropist. Recently, he has turned his creative energy on the decriminalization of drugs worldwide, teaming up with the United Nations and the Global Commission on Drug Policy to revise the current harmful policies.
Event Synopsis: The event began with the screening of Sam Branson's documentary, “Breaking the Taboo,” and slide excerpts from Jon Cohen’s book, Tomorrow Is A Long Time, followed by a panel exploring how decriminalization of drugs would affect the spread of HIV in Tijuana, with critical dialogue surrounding this issue.
- Introduction by UC San Diego's Global Health Institute Director, infectious disease epidemiologist, panel moderator, Dr. Steffanie Strathdee
- Sir Richard Branson, Global Commission on Drug Policy and founder, Virgin Group
- Jon Cohen, Science magazine Sr. Correspondent and author, Tomorrow is a Long Time
- Dr. Patricia Gonzalez-Zuniga, Research Coordinator for El Cuete